- CornerCap’s Fundametrics® Small Cap Equity Composite returned 0.42% for the quarter, outperforming the Russell 2000 Value Index by nearly 100 basis points.
- Factor leadership this quarter was not uniform—momentum in July, low volatility in August, and value in September—yet the mainstays of our research process, in combination, navigated the overall environment effectively.
- Specifically, our Alpha Composite Buy-rated stocks discriminated well in July and September, allowing the portfolio to beat our Equal Weighted Universe by 295 bps and our Sell-rated stocks by 587 bps for the quarter. When the market sold off in August our Financial Warnings Risk Overlay correctly identified stocks with higher downside risk, enabling “Safe”-rated stocks to outperform “Avoid/Fail”-rated stocks by 241 bps for the quarter.
- Are we seeing the beginning of a style shift toward Value? We witnessed extreme reversals out of momentum and into value during September. Notably, the return spread between high/low one-month momentum made a dramatic swing from favorable to negative, whereby September’s inverted spread was in the bottom 2.25% of observations since 2006. We must go back to the beginning of 2009 to find a larger reversal.
- The setup for Value continues to look favorable as small cap valuations are historically attractive, both in absolute terms and relative to large-cap equities. In corroboration, key indicators in our broader models show extreme opportunities in Value.
For a full copy of the report, please contact Derek Tubbs, VP of Institutional Development and Associate Portfolio Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-968-2619.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results, and all investments are subject to risk of loss.
CornerCap Email Updates
Sign up to receive CornerCap Investment Counsel updates.
Market Insights Archive
Fundametrics® Research Process
The Fundametrics® research process is our proprietary computer-based research system, which screens our universe of stocks and decile ranks them according to specific valuation criteria.